Sunday, December 8, 2013


Ah....just 12 days and I'm back to Iguana Toast Land, where Ctenosaura similis roam free, and the average temp must be greater than my current 7 degrees F!

Since May, I've completed the first semester of my doctoral degree, taking courses, attending seminars, reading more papers than I'd like to count, and getting a research grant from my university. While every moment has not been 100% successful, the challenges have been rewarding in very good ways.

Still, I want to keep my research and thinking steeped in field situations. I see the sheer do-ability of lab organisms, but suspect I am better suited to the challenges of in-situ projects. For 15 years, I've had the honor observing I. iguana in a captive group, and during that time, numerous occasions to observe endangered wild iguana species. They are captivating, physically attractive, socially complex, exciting animals. In the case of C. similis, they are observable and often tolerate living among humans. I'm always thrilled I get to see this incredible animal live free, and to attempt to understand the basis of its social organization.

This trip I'll have along one of my favorite field colleagues, my husband. We will catch and process iguanas, explore Palo Verde National Park, and spend Christmas in the neotropics. He'll see my study site, the cast of iguana characters, and help open my second study population.



I'll be posting throughout the trip and beyond -- stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment