Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Before...During...After....and After After.

A nose and one eye.
It's After. I've travelled home, 17 hours start to finish. The next day was dreary, grey, and rainy. I missed the iguanas. I missed the strong breezes and the heat. I went from shorts to winter jacket and hat.

So there is unpacking and figuring out what is needed for Trip #2, a mere 4 weeks in the future (which feels both tomorrow and a dream). 22 gauge needles do not work for blood draws. More PIT tags are needed. I will need to spray clothing with pyrethrin. I live in a virtually rainless world -- what should I bring for waterproof shoes? Most importantly, what data will be collected in the second going? And so on.

Tasting my world.

And then there is all the current data. Putting it in order so that it can be used and best reveal what I observed and tested. I've started. Maps, too, of trap locations, buildings, and markers like "Lab/Cistern Guayacan Tree." That will keep me busy for a time.

And After, there is After After...which hit today: altitude sickness. A mere three weeks away and I'm a tourist in my own home.

I trapped and identified or recognized/named 38 iguanas in 3 weeks. They were small and large, accommodating or disgusted with my presence, and ever fascinating. A few have house names: WWW is Webbie, and BYBr is Kaplan for someone who early on suggested a way to think about reptiles, especially iguanas. RWBr is Remalia. And WOG is Wog. Juice and Sappy will get beads next trip.

Tomorrow I hit the data full steam -- I look forward to 'seeing' again what the lizards did and didn't do during my time observing their world.


No comments:

Post a Comment